It’s usually around this time of year that people start getting all complainy about how cold it is, and how they can’t wait for Summer. Well, hold on to your hats folks, because I LOVE LOVE LOVE Winter. It is just so incredibly cozy. Fires, hot chocolate, hockey, skating, skiing, scarves, boots, mittens.. ahhh..so much cozy.
I actually love Winter so much that I managed to convince hubby to get married in the dead of winter. It will be 5 years this Friday. Geez, where has the time gone?? Here we are at Blue Mountain resort for our big day…and yes, it was cold, but the sun was shining and we had just gotten a fresh snowfall the night before so it was crisp and bright and clean. I honestly couldn’t have asked for a more perfect winter day.
I get why some people may not like Winter.. and to be honest, there are days when it’s so flipping cold that I actually let out some weird animal like growl when I go to start my car at 6:30am to head to work. I call those days “Angry Cold”. Those days suck.. but that’s also because I’m not outside enjoying the beauty of Winter. There’s been a few days in the past two weeks that we bundled the kids up and took them for a walk, and once to the park. Neighbours probably look at us like we’re crazy for venturing out in -15 degree weather….but when you’re bundled up properly it’s just so refreshing to get out in the cold air. It can really boost your mood, and we want the kids to know that it’s okay to get outside, no matter the weather! Some of my favourite memories as a child are getting outside in the winter, sledding, building forts in the middle of our court, and playing street hockey! To come in the house with red rosy cheeks, sweaty hair and cold toes meant a lot of fun was had. Then, a nice warm mug of hot chocolate would just top everything off.
It’s now the end of January, and I have to admit that I’m super disappointed with this winter. We’ve had hardly any snow, and as I write this blog today the current temperature is 3 degrees C. That’s not right! I’m super jealous of the east coasters in the US who recently got a massive dumping of snowfall. I’ve compiled a list of my favourite things about Winter. Feel free to contest these…but, I’m willing to bet nobody can deny that there are several incredible things that come with winter.
- Sweaters – I absolutely love putting on a big comfy sweater. Not only are they gloriously comfortable, but it helps to hide the extra holiday weight that undoubtedly has been added to the waistline.
- Snow sports – I’ve been snowboarding since grade 8. Mind you, it’s been a few years since I’ve gone – but I still love getting out there and riding down the “mountain” (I put those in quotes because here in Ontario you can’t really call the ski hills Mountains). I really look forward to going skiing/snowboarding out West in BC one day when the kids are older!
- Tobogganing – It really doesn’t matter how old you are. There is WAY too much fun to be had sledding down a hill in a toboggan.
- Hot chocolate – It’s the perfect end to a day out enjoying the cold, snowy weather. Every part of you can be warmed up in an instant.
- The beauty – Who can deny this incredible natural beauty?
- Snow days! As a kid during the winter you prayed for a snow day from school. When it finally came, you were over the moon. Even as an adult, you wake up after a snowstorm and cross your fingers that work is cancelled. On occasion, it actually happens and you’ll be damned if you don’t make the most of it!
- A fresh start to a new year – In some ways, I like to look at Winter as a cleansing process for nature. It cleans your slate and leads into Spring which blooms new beginnings.
Did I miss anything? Do you Love or Hate Winter? Let me know in the comments below!